Friday, December 18, 2009

On the mobility of fibre

Or, how knitting Changes Things

Today I had to go to the doctor for an appointment, and, on a whim, decided to take my knitting. This is not something I usually do have ever done, but hey, might as well have fun while I'm waiting around, right?

I never expected the kind of reactions I got. This doctor is part of a medical complex, and much like a hospital, the complex herds you around before you actually see the guy. Throughout signing in, waiting in various areas, getting my vital signs, and then talking with the doctor, I got the strangest reactions. Now, I'm not usually a person who sticks out particularly well, other than I dress like someone older than I am (I dress like I'm in my twenties, not to imply immodesty.) But apparently knitting turns me into something observable, something interesting.

The woman at the window sighed as I signed in, when she saw it spilling everywhere.

The lady in the waiting room, who watched my needles with fascination, but never said a word.

The nurse, who got extremely nervous and fretful- poor girl didn't know what to do with herself when I asked for a moment to finish off the needle!

Even the doctor, who, being middle eastern, related fond memories of his mother and grandmother knitting with great, large needles at breakneck speed.

It was like I was part of a secret club. Something about it fascinates people. That one moment of clarity, of bringing my knitting instead of, say, a book or sudoku or my cellphone, took me out of the Normal People category, and straight into Fibre Person. I was identifiably part of a group, a Knitter. One Who Knits. That yes, I have something awesome to do with my time that doesn't involve fast cars and faster people. Somehow, I feel I must wear this as badge of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment